Are You Digging These High School Volleyball Rankings?
Marist rates nod over Mother McAuley for No. 1 spot in weekly poll; Deruiter delivers for Chicago Christian.
1. Marist (23-2): After winning 23 straight, the Redhawks dropped back-to-back decisions to Cary-Grove and Tampa Berkeley and settled for a fourth-place finish at the Asics Challenge. "I told them to keep it in perspective," Marist coach Natalie Holder said in a report on ChicagoTribune.com. "This is one of the top two tournaments in the nation. Some teams wish they were in the gold (division)." Marist returns to action against Providence on Tuesday, then takes on Benet Wednesday.
2. Mother McAuley (13-4): Lizzy Scanlon and Maddie McElroy rallied the Mighty Macs past Corona Del Mar (Calif.) in a three-set thriller at the Asics Challenge. Scanlon had nine kills and McElroy eight. Bridgett Powell chipped in 16 digs and Kailey Scott finished with 33 assists. Mother McAuley plays at Resurrection Tuesday and at St. Ignatius on Thursday.
3. Sandburg (17-7): Megan Opferman and Amanda Kijewski are tied for the Eagles' team lead in kills with 103. Setter Genna Pavone (260 assists) distributes the ball, and back-row specialist Kendra Mikuta (250 digs) keeps it from falling to the floor. Sandburg faces Lockport Tuesday and Bolingbrook Thursday.
4. Chicago Christian (17-7): Junior middle blocker Becky Deruiter led the Knights to the title at the Tinley Park Invitational. She is one of the most efficient hitters in the state. Deruiter tops the Knights with 144 kills and a .664 attack percentage. Senior outside hitter Stacey Kamp has 119 blocks and 97 digs. Chicago Christian plays host to Marian Central Catholic on Wednesday.
5. Lincoln-Way North (14-9-1): Junior outside hitter Stephanie Pearson leads the Phoenix with 130 kills. Senior setter Erynn Schuh has dished out 351 assists and senior libero Mandy Beniac has racked up 242 digs. Lincoln-Way North faces Bradley-Bourbonnais Tuesday and Thornwood on Thursday.
(Covering the following Patch.com communities: Frankfort, New Lenox, Mokena, Oak Lawn, Orland Park, Palos, Tinley Park and the neighboring private schools that draw student-athletes from those communities).