Editor's note: Wednesday afternoon, we started a new feature to focus on the storm cleanup called the Blizzard Blog.
Wednesday updates: 7:30 a.m., 8:15 a.m., 8:45 a.m., 11:25 a.m.
Tuesday updates: 11:48 a.m., 1:50 p.m., 2:40 p.m., 6:30 p.m., 10:30 p.m., 10:50 p.m.
power outages, street closures and snowfall
- As of 11:25 a.m. Wednesday, ComEd's Crestwood region, which includes Orland Park and Orland Hills, has between 50 and 500 people without power.
- By 9:45 a.m. Wednesday, between 12 and 15 inches of snow fell in Orland Park, according to a National Weather Service map. 19.9 inches of snow was reported fallen near Midway airport by the NWS. By 10 p.m. Tuesday night, 9 inches had fallen at the airport with five of those inches falling between 6 p.m. and 10 p.m.
- Will-Cook Road between 167th to 179th streets is closed due to drifting snow.
- 104th Avenue between 167th to 179th streets is closed due to drifting snow.
- 108th Avenue between 167th to 179th streets is closed due to drifting snow
The Illinois Department of Transportation shut down the following highways:
- I-80 – from IL Route 47 (Morris) to IL Route 26 (Princeton)
- I-88 – from IL Route 40 (Rock Falls) to I-80 (Rock Island County)
- I-74 – from milepost 51 (Galesburg) to milepost 87 (Peoria)
- I-39 – from I-55 to US Route 20
- I-155 – from I-55 to I-74
- I-55 – closed at Lake Shore Drive
- I-290 – from St. Charles to I-90
- I-57 – southbound at I-80
For a look at highway conditions throughout the state, a full map is on IDOT's website.
- Frederick T. Owens Village Hall will be open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Wednesday. The Orland Park Police Department will serve as the main check in point for people without power who need a warming station. Here's a rundown from the village of different closures and service changes.
- Orland Park garbage and recyclables pick up will be a day late, similar to a holiday schedule.
- Orland Park Public Library: The library is closing at 5 p.m. Tuesday, and will remain closed on Wednesday.
- Orland Square Mall is closed Wednesday and will be back open at 10 a.m. Thursday.
- Carl Sandburg High School: Students will be released at 2:15 p.m. Tuesday afternoon, and all after school sports and activities for each school will be canceled. With the blizzard warning expected to start at 3 p.m., the early release will be for bus routes to take students home before the storm escalates.
- All District 230 classes, meetings, sports events and after school activities will be canceled on Wednesday as well. Administrative offices will also be closed.
- Orland School District 135: Classes and after school activities are canceled for Wednesday. After school activities are also canceled for Tuesday.
- Cardinal Joseph Bernardin Catholic School: The school will be closed Wednesday and all after school activities for Tuesday are canceled.
- Fernway Park School: All Kirby School District 140 schools will be closed Wednesday and all activities are canceled.
- Kruse Education Center: Kruse and all District 146 schools will be releasing students for pick up starting 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, and schools will all be clsoed on Wednesday.
- Mi Sol Montessori Spanish Immersion School: The school will be closed Wednesday.
- Our Lady of the Woods: Classes are canceled Tuesday and Wednesday.
- St. Elizabeth Seton: Faith sessions at 4:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Tuesday are canceled.
- St. Francis of Assisi: The school will close at 3 p.m. Tuesday, and will be closed Wednesday.
- St. Michael Parish: The school is closed Tuesday and will be closed Wednesday.
- Parkview Christian Church Pre School and Kindergarten: Closed at 2 p.m. Tuesday, and will stay closed on Wednesday.
- Saint Xavier University: Due to emergency weather conditions, all campus and satellite locations for Saint Xavier University will be closed for all classes and programs on Tues., Feb. 1, as of 4 p.m. through Wednesday evening, Feb. 2. Normal operations will resume Thurs., Feb. 3.
- Moraine Valley Community College: The school will close at 3 p.m.. All evening classes and activities are canceled.
- ITT Technical Institute: ITT will be closing at 3 p.m. Tuesday and will be closed on Wednesday.
- Robert Morris College: Closed Wednesday. Opening back up 7:30 a.m. Thursday.
Care/ service centers
- Orland Park Head Start: Closed at noon Tuesday, and will stay closed on Wednesday.
- Heart to Hearts Services Senior Day Care: The Orland Park center will be closed Wednesday.
- Stone Church Child Care Center: Open Tuesday, closed on Wednesday.
- Southwest Cook County Cooperative Association for Special Education: Evening classes canceled on Tuesday. All southwest offices abd buildings closed on Wednesday.
- Delays in Metra train service can be found on their website.
Closures in nearby towns:
All information comes directly from these schools and organizations or from www.emergencyclosingcenter.com.