UPDATE: Live Blog Cancelled for Tonight's D135 Meeting
Orland School District 135 Board of Education members will be updated on a math pilot that raised parents' concerns recently, and about the new Common Core State Standards, starting 6:30 p.m.
Update: 3:45 p.m., Monday, Oct. 15, 2012
The live blog for tonight's school board meeting is cancelled due to an unforeseen news event, which will be reported on later this evening. We will still be covering the D135 meeting, and will post a story about it later in the week.
Original Post: 5:53 a.m., Monday, Oct. 15, 2012
Orland School District 135 Board of Education members are scheduled to hear more information from the district's curriculum staff about a math pilot for 6th-8th grades that initially raised some objections from parents.
Digits, a Pearson middle grades math program, is designed to present math concepts in the form of real world applications, to help students meet the new Common Core State Standards. The program relies on computers and the Internet to help collect data for teachers to analyze, such as how long each student worked on a particular problem.
Parents raised concerns in September that the program may be too dependent on current technology to be fair for all families, depending on income levels, and felt the program was not explained thoroughly enough.
Since then, District 135 scheduled three parents' nights to further instruct families about the math pilot, with the third meeting happening Tuesday night at Orland Junior High, according to the district website.
Attached are the two agendas for tonight’s meetings.
Orland Park Patch’s live blog through Cover It Live will provide minute-by-minute updates from the meeting on this page starting at 6:30 p.m. Look in the Cover It Live window, and you’ll see an area where you can join in and offer your comments and questions. The same rules apply as on finished articles on the site.
Leading up to the meeting, let me know if there's anything you particularly want to know about in the comments.
See More on Patch
- Board Members Clash Over Park School Incident and More (Live Blog)
- The Full D135 Candidate Forum (Video)
- D135 Candidates Talk Nepotism Policies (Video)
- UPDATED: D135 Candidates Talk Finances, Staffing Issues and More (Live Blog Transcript)
- D135 Special Ed Director and Instructor Resign and More (Live Blog Transcript)
Most Popular articles
- Man Caught Trying to Open Car Roof with Knife
- Coroner Reveals Scheidegger had Alcohol in his System During Fatal Crash
- Orland Park Woman and Service Dog Don Matching Cap and Gown
- Second Suspect Wanted in Friday Home Invasion and Shooting
- Judge Won't Raise Alleged Orland Park Wife-Killer's $2 Million Bond