Father Describes Finding His Son Dead of a Heroin Overdose (Video)
Brian Kirk witnessed his son Matt descend into drug addiction until he died of a heroin overdose at age 18, despite attempts to help him. He told his story at the Blink of An Eye seminar.
Brian Kirk knew something was wrong.
He walked into his Homer Glen home and saw his son Matt's backpack lying on the floor. School was still in session, and Matt was supposed to be there. Kirk looked all over the house, calling Matt's name, until he found him in the basement, lying on the floor in the fetal position.
After Matt's death in 2009, he started speaking with Orland Fire Battalion Chief Mike Schofield in the Blink of An Eye seminars, to teach other what he learned in a very difficult and painful way.
Kirk shared the experience on July 18 at a Blink seminar, held at the Orland Fire Protection District Administration Building, along other people who lost friends and loved ones to drugs and other risky behavior.
Looking for more from the Blink of an Eye seminar?
- Fire Chief Urges Parents, Teachers to Talk to Kids About Drugs Now (Video)
- In the Blink of an Eye: Stories of Lives Lost to Drugs and Alcohol (Video)
- Mother Recalls Son's Drunk Driving Accident That Claimed Lives of Teens
- 911 Audio: Mother Calls While Son Overdoses on Heroin
- Lockport Grad Recalls Friends Lost to Drugs (Video)