Hoops: Give These Girls a High Five
Sports Editor Ron Kremer ranks the top area girls basketball teams from 1-5, plus the five knocking on the door.
1. Marian Catholic (19-3): Coach Annie Basic-Byrne was disappointed with the Spartans’ performance in a 50-44 loss to Nicolet (Wis.) on Monday at the McDonald’s Shootout. Simone Law was limited to 10 points. Next: Saturday at Westchester St. Joseph.
2. Lincoln-Way East (15-4): Kelly McGovern had 12 points, five assists and three steals in the Griffins’ 61-42 victory over Lockport. She was playing in her final game before undergoing season-ending surgery. Next: Tonight vs. Bolingbrook.
3. Marist (17-4): One night it’s JeTaun Rouse. The next, it’s Leah Bolton. The RedHawks have size and speed. Next: Saturday vs. Lincoln Park.
4. Homewood-Flossmoor (15-5): Memphis recruit Jailyn Norris scored 27 points in an 87-39 victory over Lincoln-Way Central. Next: Tonight vs. Joliet Central.
5. Andrew (15-2): Tiana Karopulos (18 points, 3 rebounds) and Nicole Botich (14 points, 3 rebounds) keep the T-Bolts rolling in a 53-29 victory over Thornwood. Next: Tonight at Lincoln-Way West.
Next best (in alphabetical order): Bloom, Lincoln-Way North, Lincoln-Way West, Oak Forest, Rich South.
(Covering the following Patch communities: Chicago Heights, Evergreen Park, Frankfort, Homewood-Flossmoor, Mokena, New Lenox, Oak Forest, Oak Lawn, Orland Park, Palos, Tinley Park and the neighboring private schools that draw students from those communities).