Hoops: Give These Girls a High Five
Sports Editor Ron Kremer ranks the top area girls basketball teams from 1-5, plus the five knocking on the door.
1. Marian Catholic (25-4): Spartans take down Trinity 57-49 behind a game-high 19 points from Simone Law. And that was just the week’s appetizer. Next: Friday vs. Fenwick.
2. Lincoln-Way East (20-5): Taylor Johnson lights up Homewood-Flossmoor with 33-point performance as the Griffins notch a 62-51 victory. And now some are wondering, "Kelly who?" Next: Tonight vs. Lockport.
3. Marist (24-4): Randyll Butler's 8-footer at the buzzer boosted the RedHawks to a thrilling 65-63 victory over Fenwick. No better way to prepare for playoffs. Next: Tonight at Trinity.
4. Homewood-Flossmoor (19-6): Charnelle Reed scored 22 points in the Vikings' loss to Lincoln-Way East. She had 13 points and three rebounds earlier as H-F rallied from 10-0 deficit to tip Sandburg 41-37. Next: Tonight at Lincoln-Way Central.
5. Andrew (22-2): Nicole Botich and Molly Franson lead T-Bolts to back-to-back wins over Lincoln-Way North and Thornridge. Next: Tonight vs. Thornwood.
Next best (in alphabetical order): Lincoln-Way North, Mother McAuley, Oak Forest, Richards, Rich South.
(Covering the following Patch communities: Chicago Heights, Evergreen Park, Frankfort, Homewood-Flossmoor, Mokena, New Lenox, Oak Forest, Oak Lawn, Orland Park, Palos, Tinley Park and the neighboring private schools that draw students from those communities).