Hoops: Give These Girls a High Five
Sports Editor Ron Kremer ranks the region's top girls basketball team's from 1-5, plus the five knocking on the door.
1. Marian Catholic (27-4): Four players scored in double figures in the Spartans’ 95-34 victory over Lincoln-Way Central, led by Jasmine Matthews’ 19 points. Next: Tonight vs. Providence in Class 4A Providence Catholic Regional final.
2. Lincoln-Way East (24-5): Griffins take care of business in 60-29 victory over Crete-Monee, but won’t get to battle vs. Sister School in regional final as Lincoln-Way North falls. Next: Tonight vs. T.F. South in Class 4A Crete-Monee Regional final.
3. Marist (25-5): RedHawks dispatch of Shepard 62-24 behind 13 points from Asiana Bey. Next: Tonight vs. Sandburg in Class 4A Shepard Regional final.
4. Homewood-Flossmoor (21-7): Charnelle Reed, Danielle Woolfolk and Sydni Johnson advance in Three-Point Showdwon, but don't be fooled. Rebounding remains one of Vikings’ strongest suits, not perimeter shooting. Next: Tonight vs. Stagg in Class 4A Thornton Regional final.
5. Mother McAuley (18-11): Mighty Macs show reserve firepower as Kim Funk comes off bench to score 10 in 46-32 victory over Argo. Next: Tonight vs. Oak Lawn in Class 4A Mother McAuley Regional final.
Next best (in alphabetical order): Andrew, Lincoln-Way North, Oak Forest, Oak Lawn, Richards.
(Covering the following Patch communities: Chicago Heights, Evergreen Park, Frankfort, Homewood-Flossmoor, Mokena, New Lenox, Oak Forest, Oak Lawn, Orland Park, Palos, Tinley Park and the neighboring private schools that draw students from those communities).