Hoops: These Boys are Flying High
Sports Editor Ron Kremer ranks the region's top area basketball teams from 1-5, plus a short list of the next best.
1. Homewood-Flossmoor (15-5): David Fatoki’s three-point shooting ignites Vikings’ surge in 52-46 victory at Lockport. The victory wrapped up the Southwest Suburban Blue title for H-F. Next: Tonight vs. Lincoln-Way East.
2. Bloom (14-6): Edward Williams, Lejavious Johnson and Donald Moore provided offensive balance in the Blazing Trojans’ 58-46 victory over Rich Central. All three scored in double figures. Next: Tonight at Rich East.
3. Stagg (16-5): More evidence that the Chargers have turned a corner: Darius Draper comes up big with 16 points and 13 rebounds in a 49-47 victory over district rival Andrew. Next: Tonight vs. Thornton.
4. Rich South (12-7): With Macari Brooks on the bench, the Stars needed someone else to step up. Pierre Brooks scored 11 points to top four players in double figures in a 62-51 victory over Kankakee. Tonight at Rich Central.
5. Sandburg (13-8): Brian Dace and Nick Lehnerer come through with double-digit scoring efforts in 39-33 win over Lincoln-Way Central. Kenny Payonk was the hero against Bolingbrook. Next: Tonight vs. Joliet Central.
Next best (in alphabetical order): Andrew, Brother Rice, Lincoln-Way East, Marist, Rich Central.
(Covering the following Patch communities: Chicago Heights, Evergreen Park, Frankfort, Homewood-Flossmoor, Mokena, New Lenox, Oak Forest, Oak Lawn, Orland Park, Palos, Tinley Park and the neighboring private schools that draw students from those communities).