You'll have to wait if you are used to filing your annual tax return at the earliest possible date. The Internal Revenue Service has revised its opening date for tax season — pushing it back eight days to January 30, 2013.
The tax filing deadline is Monday, April 15, 2013.
The IRS will begin accepting tax returns on Jan. 30, 2013. Most taxpayers should be able to file on that date, though some revised forms may not be immediately available.
You can blame the delay on the federal "fiscal cliff" crisis and the new tax bill Congress passed just after Dec. 31. You can find more information in this Forbes article.
Electronic filing season was originally set to start on Jan. 22 this year.
As a result of the delay, nobody will get a refund in January, an H&R Block official told Financial Advisor.
The IRS will not process paper tax returns before the anticipated Jan. 30 opening date. There is no advantage to filing on paper before the opening date, and taxpayers will receive their tax refunds much faster by using e-file with direct deposit, writes Patch IRS Blogger David Stewart.
There are several forms affected by the late legislation that require more extensive programming and testing of IRS systems. The IRS hopes to begin accepting tax returns including these tax forms between late February and into March; a specific date will be announced in the near future.
The key forms that require more extensive programming changes include Form 5695 (Residential Energy Credits), Form 4562 (Depreciation and Amortization) and Form 3800 (General Business Credit). A full listing of the forms that won’t be accepted until later is available on IRS.gov.
Do you like to do your taxes in person? Here are some places you can go to get your taxes done in the area. If we missed a good local option, please add it in the comments:
- O'Keefe and Associates
- Lloyd Financial Services
- Contour Financial
- KCM Accounting Inc
- Morgan Stanley Smith Barney
- Merrill Lynch Wealth Management
- Prudential Securities
- Edward Jones - Financial Advisor: Rick Powell
- Bill Hickey & Associates
- The Tax Office of Douglas Gehrke
- Hagan Adler & Associates
- Harper & Ottenhoff
- Homer Financial Resources
- Larue & Company CPAs
- John White & Co.
- Garrigan & Kovatch
- Jacqueline A Wagner
- Kubiak & Kubiak
- James R. Clark
- George R. Schletz & Co
- Vescovi Surin & Co.
- J. Klischuk & Associates
- Biederman La Vine & Associates
- Financial Management Systems
- Corporate & Personal Tax & Accounting Service
- The Tax Office of Patricia Rudofski
- Small Business Associates
- Ogrizovich Financial Services
- Recchia & Co.
- Reliance Accounting Tax & Valuation Services
- Richard J. Fox and Associates
- Tax & Financial Solutions
- Roche Scholz Roche & Walsh CPA
- Anthony Massaro
- 1st Chicago Accounting
- Cygan Hayes
- Magna Accounting Associates
- The Stapleton Group
- Quinn & Company
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
There are plenty of ways to keep up on local news:
- Sign up for the daily Orland Park Patch newsletter and breaking news alerts.
- Like Orland Park Patch on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.