The idea behind Orland Township’s Illumin8K Run/Walk was to shed light on the complicated difficulties that arise with suicide.
“When we started talking about causes that we feel no one talks about, it quickly became a focus,” said Gina Chigaros, Orland Township Youth Commission Coordinator about what led to the event.
The Illumin8K brought together 600 registered runners and over 300 people who came to the event in support, as well as 42 official sponsors and businesses who donated food, goods and services. The event benefitted The Jason Foundation, the Catholic Charities Loving Outreach to Survivors of Suicide program and the Orland Township Scholarship Foundation.
The Jason Foundation provided hundreds of flyers for participants meant to help teens let their parents know that they need support of any kind, whether for suicidal thoughts or other issues.
It reads as follows:
I want you to know I will always be here for you. I love you and there is no problem that we can’t get through together. If you ever need to talk, but don’t know where to start, just give me this card. I agree to talk to you without judgment. Regardless of what you say, I will do my best to remain calm. Remember, that I am also human. I may not always do or say the right thing or make the right decision, but I will always love you.
“The young person keeps the card and hands it to the parent when he or she is ready to talk,” wrote Orland Township Director of Clinical Services Kathy Passafiume in an email. “That’s the key, readiness, but the kid has to know that when he/she is ready, the parent will be there.”
Copies of the flyer are available at the Orland Township Youth Services office, 14807 Ravinia Ave., in Orland Park.
- Advocate Health Care
- ASAF Aileen S. Andrew Foundation
- Government Consulting Services of Illinois
- Rubino's Italian Imports
- Andromeda Technology Solutions
- Athletix Sports and Orthopedic Physical Therapy
- Bettenhausen Automotive
- Flexeon Rehabilitation
- Resurrecting Real Estate
- Standard Bank & Trust
- Pronger Smith Medicalcare LLP
- 3rd District Congressman Daniel Lipinski
- Trace Ambulance - The Vandenberg Family
- Andrew McCann Lawn Sprinklers
- Aquatica, Inc.
- Baird Warner
- Chicago Regional Council of Carpenters Local 1539
- D. Duane Brann, DPM
- EMB Medical Supply
- Friends of Robert "Bob" Rita
- Friends of David Gonzalez
- George Korbakes & Co. LLP
- Golden Incentives
- Illinois American Water Company
- Morris Engineering Inc.
- Senator Michael E. Hastings
- Sweet Street Desserts
- Tenacity Performance Training
- Teller Rep Midwest , Inc.
- Tinley Park Patrolmans' Foundation
- Younker Media
- Zarlengo's Italian Ice
- Aquatica Tinley Park
- Amano Vivere
- Bill Cunningham ( State Senator- 18th District)
- Citizens Financial Bank
- Liz Gorman for the 17th District
- Performance Foot and Ankle Center
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Join Patch! Create a free user account and join the discussion about the future of the area. You'll be subscribed to the free daily newsletter and breaking news alerts.