Faulty Pump Spewed Gasoline and Burned Lockport Woman's Lungs: Lawsuit

A Lockport woman claims her lungs were injured when a pump at a Homer Glen service station malfunctioned.

A malfunctioning gas pump spewed fuel into a Lockport woman's lungs and landed her in the hospital for a week, said the lawyer suing an oil company on her behalf.

"The way she described it to me, it was like her lungs were on fire and she couldn't catch her breath," attorney Frank Cservenyak said of his client, 64-year-old Martha Farmer.

Farmer was pumping gas into her car at the 12007 159th St. Speedway station in Homer Glen in January 2011 when the pump failed to shut off, according to the lawsuit, which was filed in Will County court.

The pump kept running and continued "to spray gasoline upon patrons," the suit says.

"You take it for granted that it's going to turn off," said Cservenyak, telling how gasoline "mist and vapor" got into Farmer's lungs while the out-of-control pump was discharging fuel.

The lawsuit names Speedway, Speedway SuperAmerica and Marathon Oil Company as defendants. Speedway is based in Springfield, Ohio, and Marathon Oil is headquartered in Houston, Texas.

Joe January 15, 2013 at 04:37 PM
You all are absolutely moronic! Face next to the nozzle? Did she drive off? How bout getting the facts before you admit just how ignorant you are by posting stupid comments on here.
Chris M January 31, 2013 at 10:43 PM
I just had a similar incident happen to me yesterday. Luckily my face was not sprayed. The fuel pump at a Conoco station on Rancho California Road in Temecula California failed to shut off and sprayed on me and my car before I could get it shut off. What makes me angry is that the manager says "that could not have happened" and won't even look into getting the faulty equipment checked. So now I'm online looking for other incidents. Yes, it can happen.
Chris M January 31, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Maybe I should borrow her lawyer.
The Guy From The Game, Operation April 21, 2013 at 06:23 AM
Really big on calling people "morons" or "ignorant". I will be watching you now. Get ready for total comment patrolling.
Lissa May 23, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Yes it can happen. My husband pull in murrphy USA, and when the pump started at the coupling of the hose's gas squirted out on his back, neck head and arms. When he turned around ro see we thank God he had is glasses on. The gas squirted in face and so on. The cashier hesitated to come see, offered no help. Being on ERT at the plant he works at he was able to wash off as best as he could, but the smell especially the 9 mo and 4 yr old was strong. He had red welts, marks on his neck and arms today. They could care less. I called Murphy USA and was told the district mngr would call me. No. I emailed filed complaint. No answer. Today I emailed the main email, already late no answer. We did not even call the police. But as someone states above. Security camera's will tell the truth. Today I was told, that if we did not wash dwn the truck effected the paint will fall off in time. So I washed it. Yes, this does happen. And maybe the original lady is short like me.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »