Judge John Hynes was very specific about what he wanted from defense and prosecuting attorneys at Allan Kustok’s last court hearing on Thursday, a firm trial date.
But as has been the case for several of the previous hearings, no specific date was set for the murder case to go to trial. Allan Kustok is charged with first-degree murder in the shooting death of his wife Anita “Jeanie” Kustok.
Defense attorney Ernie DiBenedetto said Thursday that he and Kustok’s other attorneys, Rick Beuke and Steven Rueckert, are “making progress on narrowing down availability.”
Hynes said Thursday that he is anxious to get this trial underway. At the Oct. 10 hearing, prosecutors asked for a January court date, while defense attorneys requested February instead.
“This case is over three years old,” Hynes said on Oct. 10. “I have indicated repeatedly that this case is to be finished this year. If not in December, than it has to be January.”
Previously, the trial was tentatively set for a December start, but prosecutors asked to have it pushed back, because of a conflict with an expert slated to testify.
The case has been in the court system for over three years without a trial.
Kustok is scheduled to be in court again on Nov. 21 for attorneys to set a trial date.
Looking for more police stories?
- Men Accused of Strangling, Burning Two Women Arraigned
- Dangerous Stranger Reports Demand Parents' Attention
- $12,000 Withdrawal Lands Chicago Man with Felony
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
There are plenty of ways to keep up on local news: