Fire crews responded to a call about a small electric fire Thursday afternoon inside the Orland Square Mall.
A light fixture caught fire inside an unoccupied store space on the first floor, according to an Orland fire official. The fire was put out by an employee before firefighters arrived at about 1 p.m. The Orland Square Mall remained open during the incident.
Fire crews that arrived focused mainly on controlling smoke and debris from a fire extinguisher used in by the employee, said Battalion Chief Dan Smith. A ventilation system was able to remove the amount of smoke and particulates produced by small blaze without affecting mall patrons.