- Position sought: Trustee
- Hometown: Orland Park
- Website: www.fiscalvoices.com
- Age: 41
- Family: Wife Tricia and children Skylar (7), Callen (3)
- Education: BS-Biochemistry University of Wisconsin Madison 1991, MD- University of Wisconsin Madison 1995, Residency- Orthopedic Surgery 2000, Sports Medicine Fellowship- Southern California Center for Sports Medicine 2001
- Occupation: Orthopedic Surgeon
- Political party affiliation: None. Conservative.
- Previous elected offices: None
- Applicable experience: I am the president/owner of Orland Park Orthopedics. I own South Chicago Surgical Solutions. I own Rhode Orthopedic Group- an orthopedic device manufacturer. I am on the board of the research non-profit- RORI (Rhode Orthopedic Research Group). I own Skylar Properties.
Mr. Rhode answered an issues-specific questionnaire as well, which can be read through this link.
What is the primary reason you are running for this office?
In speaking with fire fighters, they feel that the district has lost it's respect in the community. They realize that the district needs new direction. I agree.
What will be your single most important priority if you get elected?
I am an orthopedic surgeon that lives, operates a business and owns my office property in Orland Park. I love the town and feel that Orland is the mecca of the south suburbs. I am also a concerned taxpayer that believes Orland suffers from the same issues that plague states and municipalities across the country. We are in a non sustainable spending binge. Orland Fire District spends $28 million to run their fire program. That is more than three times the cost of any surrounding district. Now Orland is a large district with a relatively large population, but $28 million? We need to run this district with transparency and a fiscal attitude that reflects the tough times we are currently in. I propose that we review all vendor contracts and open them up to a transparent bid process. I believe that we should give preference to businesses and taxpayers that reside in Orland and pay these taxes that support our fire fighters. It is time to restore the respect of the fire department so our firefighters can work with pride.
What sets you apart from the other candidates?
I run several successful businesses. I started my practice with no money with my wife. I have gone 6 months without earning a paycheck. I know what fiscally responsible is.
How long have you lived in Orland Park?
I have lived in Orland Park since 2004.
What's your favorite thing about Orland Park?
Orland Park is the mecca of the south suburbs. Everyone uses Orland as their location to shop and eat. I hope that we can keep Orland Park as the go to place.
What is the biggest problem in Orland Park?
Orland Park must come to terms with the fiscal crisis that is hitting out nation, states and municipalities. Simply put, the money coming in is not matching the money going out. It is not sustainable. It will even get worse for Orland if our taxes continue to be higher than neighboring towns. I do not know of many business owners looking to locate in Orland Park. Their reason for looking elsewhere is the taxes.