- Position sought: Village of Orland Park Trustee
- E-mail address: email@example.com
- Phone: 708-479-5458
- Hometown: Orland Park
- Age: 64
- Family: Kelly L. Kelly, wife; Corey Kelly, son 22; Morgan Kelly, daughter 15.
- Education: Loyola University Chicago, Type 75 Administrative Certificate, 1994; Eastern Illinois University, Master of Science, 1973, Chicago State University, Bachelor of Science, 1970.
- Occupation: Orland Township Assessor (part time position), Retired High School Teacher District 218.
- Political party affiliation: Independent
- Previous elected offices: Orland Township Assessor for two terms, School Board Member District 230
- Applicable experience qualifying you for the position: Orland Township Assessor for 6 years; School Board Member for 4 years
Mr. Kelly answered an issues-specific questionnaire as well, which can be read through this link.
What is the primary reason you are running for this office?
STOP OVER TAXING THE MIDDLE CLASS!!!!! The Orland Park Village Board raised property tax levy approximately $930,000 from last year, to 13.3 million.
What will be your single most important priority if you get elected?
Stop the huge increase in the tax bill. People have lost their jobs, some are facing foreclosure and they are wondering how they can possibly continue to pay these huge tax bills. This is not right!!! People should not be taxed out of their home.
What sets you apart from the other candidates?
Property owners have been coming into my Orland Township Assessor Office to lower their property tax bill. I have helped thousands of residences receive refunds for missing exemptions on their tax bill and assisted them in appealing their property assessed valuation when it was too high. I am an Independent Candidate, and all of my decisions will be for the citizens of Orland Park and not for a particular group.
What is your favorite thing about Orland Park?
The schools. All of the schools are doing a great job, from primary, intermediate, junior, to Carl Sandburg High School. Good schools are the foundation for a solid community.
What is the biggest problem in Orland Park?
Taxes, we have to get the taxes under control. We are being taxed out of our homes.