Rainbow International® of South & West Suburbs gives you tips to protect your homes pipes.
With snow on the ground and temperatures dropping the scene of an outside winter wonderland may be beautiful, but it can lead to hidden damages to your home. Water freezes at 32 degrees Fahrenheit and when this happens pipes that are not properly protected from the cold weather can break and cause property damage to your home.
· Seal any space that can allow cold air in to where pipes are located. These spaces are often found around dryer vents or electrical wiring.
· Never thaw pipes using a torch or open
flame. Using a blow dryer or monitored space heater is a safer method.
· Allow your faucets to drip so pressure does not build up in the water line.
· Allow your pipes to get more warm air by opening cupboard doors.
· Disconnect your garden hose and drain any in-ground irrigation systems.
· When leaving your home for several days place your furnace on a setting no lower than 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
· Insulate pipes in unheated areas such as attics, crawl spaces and basements. There are five basic types of insulation. Speak with your local hardware store to see what they carry and what is recommended for your situation. Most foam pipe insulation sold at hardware stores has 3/8” thick walls, which is less in value. Frost King and Tundra also make a heavy-duty pipe insulation with 5/8” thick walls that is a better value.
Did you know....Water damage is often the biggest cost associated with a burst pipe, especially if the flooding continues for any length of time. Even a small crack in a pipe can leak up to 250 gallons of water a day. According to State Farm, the average cost of a claim for broken pipes is $15,000. Depending on the extent of the damage and how long the problem has gone undetected, total cleanup costs can cost homeowners thousands more!
About Rainbow International®:
Our team of experts can handle any type of property claim stemming from water, fire, smoke, wind or mold damage. We work directly with your insurance provider to get you back home. Rainbow International of South & West Suburbs is located in Orland Park and services the Chicagoland area. We are available 24/7 and can assist you at any time of the day or night. Our business has A+ rating and is accredited with the Better Business Bureau.
See recent photos of Rainbow Internationals work at:
See how Rapid Structural Drying is implemented: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcXVDTM_bv4
Emergency Hotline: 708-460-0911